Updated on February 9th, 2017
This post is devoted to exFAT data recovery, including exFAT data loss scenarios, free recovery software and step-by-step guide to recover lost data from exFAT disk. Eassos free data recovery software supports recovering deleted or lost data from exFAT, FAT2, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
exFAT data loss scenarios
exFAT file system is one of the most commonly used file system type as it does not limit single file size and it is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It is preferred by many users who want to use their storage devices on both Windows and Mac. exFAT file system can be used in many kinds of situations even when NTFS is not suitable. For example exFAT is frequently used in devices such as USB flash drive, SD card, camera when FAT32 can’t meet requirements and NTFS is not appropriate. There are a number of other causes leading to exFAT partition data loss, and some data loss scenarios are in the following part:
- Accidently deleting files from your exFAT partition while you want to recover some other files.
- When you moving files between exFAT drive such as memory card and computer, the process is interrupted by power surge or improper removal of storage devices.
- Virus attack. Your computer is attack by virus, malware, and operating system together with file system gets damaged. Files stored on computer are no longer accessible.
- Unintentionally formatting of exFAT partition while formatting other partition and lose important data. You might format exFAT partition just due that the partition is damaged and prompts to formatting and you just click OK.
- Improper removal of enteral storage device leading to file system corrupts on these devices and thereby the partition turns to be RAW or can’t be opened.
- Storage device gets repartitioned mistakenly and partitions are deleted during partitioning process.
exFAT data recovery software
If you lose files from exFAT storage media, you can use exFAT recovery software –PartitionGuru to get them back easily and safely. It is capable of recovering lost files that are deleted or formatted from hard drive, flash drive, memory card, virtual disk, etc. It supports data recovery on exFAT, FAT32, FAT16 and NTFS disks. The effective scanning process scans drive quickly without affecting original data. File preview for photos, images, documents, text, audio, video files are available before actual recovering. Once PartitionGuru is installed, the exFAT data recovery can be done by following steps here:
Step 1: Connect the storage device where you want to recover data to computer.
Step 2: Run exFAT recovery software PartitionGuru, and select the partition that lost data and click “File Recovery” button. In this case, the “Removable Disk (H:)” is the one that needs recovering data.
Step 4: Scan and preview files. PartitionGuru displays files it just finds out and keeps updating file list. When you see files you can start preview files and check file quality. You can easily open files by double click mouse button.
Step 5: Save and recover files. Since you can view files during scanning, you can stop or pause the process your files are found out. Then select these files you want to recover and right-click mouse to choose “Copy”. After that you will asked to set a target folder to save recovered data. Please note that the target folder can’t be set on the drive being recovered.